Tuesday, February 4, 2014

RAVE - Skrillex at The Independent

With bass enough to not only restart the heart of the most lifeless cardiac patient, but capable of taking a vat of skimmed milk and churning it into the thickest butter, DJ wunderkind Sonny Moore, aka Skrillex practically blew out The Independent last night.

While support came from DJs Louisahhh!!! and Craze, their sets - while sounding good and solid at the time - paled into insignificance once Skrillex took over the tables for what, it must be said, made for a bit of a marathon evening of revived hearts and freshly-churned Cheddar.

Even though The Independent's usual sound and light equipment is worthy of most indie rock mortals, Skrillex' crew wheeled in a truck full of extra speakers, all with volume dials super-glued at 11. And the light show - reminiscent of an acid trip through Vegas - had my fellow traveler fretting about passing out in a blubbering heap.

Heaven knows what he was doing at a Skrillex show, but one diversion was comedian Dave Chappelle crowd-surfing his way to the bar at the back of the room.

Thankfully, aside from faint traces of cheese in my beard - something the years, and a healthy dairy diet have got me used to - I awoke as I often do, feeling like an 18-year old.

As often is the case, a suitably irreverent closing line is available from my good friend Mr. Espley.

1 comment:

Espley said...

Just caught up with this, life is so hectic, not only do you live my life vicariously for me, I don't even found the time time see what i'm missing.

Ffion (the youngest Espley) would happily kill her parents to see Skrillex and is not only completely jealous but when I explained you weren't an 18 year old sex god was thoroughly disappointed.

Hope all is well and pass on my love and best wishes to Mrs P.

I will at some point in the near future write you a long (and probably really boring email).

Until then, stop playing with yourself or you will go blind.

Regards

Roger