Sunday, December 9, 2012

RAVE - Bluestem Brasserie

I'm glad we got past the negative experiences at the door, and gradually relaxed into an excellent meal.

There were four of us, and we showed up about twenty minutes early for our 8:30 reservation. We were asked to go get a drink at the bar while our table was made ready. There was no space at the bar. Ding #1. So we exited the restaurant and went into the Press Club next door. It was busy there too, but we got four seats at one of the bars with no trouble at all, and had a selection of unremarkable wines. The fact that my three glasses of champagne were unremarkable was a mixture of my fault - I chose that selection - and the Press Club's - none of the three champagnes was served cold enough for me.

Anyhow, we filed back into Bluestem Brasserie at 8:30, only to have to wait for ten minutes while the hostess - who clearly couldn't host jack - allegedly looked for our table. I hate standing around at the front of a restaurant waiting to be shown my table, especially when a quick glance around this place showed two or three available tables. Ding #2.

The less-than-stellar service continued, with our wait staff needing to be reminded once or twice about the non-arrival of our cocktails, and the tardiness of our entrees. 

But stop whingeing Philip! The food was Bluestem's saving grace. The ladies split a soup to start. George and I had oysters. The other three had fish - Branzino and Arctic Char. I had the Filet Mignon with a Bourbon Espresso sauce.

It wasn't the most adventurous of places, or menus. But overall it was a stylish eaterie, with good people-watching potential and great food.

No comments: