Friday, March 11, 2011

RAVE - Fewer Great White Sharks!

Not that I'm an anti-ecologist, but in among the bad news of global warming, food shortages and disappearing butterfly species comes some good news, about lower than expected numbers of Great White Sharks.

Now, I don't know why they're 'great', and they're more grey than white, but it doesn't really matter about those details, just so long as there are fewer of them around when my cruise liner goes down in the Pacific.

According to a survey published today, "Far fewer great white sharks are cruising the waters off California than previously thought, according to researchers who conducted a unique shark census in the northeastern Pacific Ocean".

This picture, apparently of a shark having eaten a basketball team, and now pursuing the basketballs, shows just how nasty they are (er, sharks, not Lakers' players). 

I guess no-one needs reminding of that, although whenever I think of the Jaws films I'm reminded of the fabulous spectacle of going as a family to see the first Jaws movie, and seeing my Dad leaning waaaay back in his seat as the shark grappled with the rear of the fishing boat and stuff started to slide down the deck towards the shark.

No comments: