Friday, November 5, 2010

REVIEW - 2 Door Cinema Club, at Slims

If I'm doing something that I know I'll review on this blog - whether it's eating at a new restaurant, watching a movie, or attending a show - I often write the review in my head very early on. 

F'rinstance, last night, after their first 3 songs, I was ready to write a glowing review, a RAVE. 

Those first 3 songs, while not exactly a revelation (I'd listened to them on YouTube earlier in the day) showed this band can not only write great songs, but play them with gusto too.

But then the restaurant equivalent of getting the main course and finding it was bland caused me to stop writing that rave review in my head.

Vocalist Alex Trimble, even if he's not in possession of a rock star's name, has a distinct voice. The trouble is, it's not particularly varied or exciting, and the same traits beset the other band members. An interesting sound for 15 minutes, but not worthy of an evening in a sold out sauna. It was unbelievably hot at Slims last night, and crowded.

All night long I was trying to think who it was they sounded like. Early on I thought "Postal Service, with added weight", but I was unhappy with that analogy. When I plugged their name into Pandora, the music genome magic answered my question with "Phoenix".

Coincidentally, the way I first found out about 2 Door Cinema Club was in a British music rag 18 months ago, which predicted 2010's big prospects as MGMT, Phoenix and 2 Door Cinema Club, among others.

A ton of other people must've read the same article, or have equally reliable sources, because not only was Slims packed to the rafters, but everyone knew the words to half their songs.

It was just a shame those songs weren't more diverse.

No comments: